Radiology has come up as an essential part of the healthcare industry. Radiology is an umbrella term that involves so many diagnostic technologies for advanced imaging and treatment. It is beneficial for detecting abnormalities and diseases. There are so many radiology services in Gurgaon for testing and treatment. Some of these are-
- Radiography (X-Ray): It is recommended to detect infection, injury, or fractured bones, or find any object stuck in soft tissue. To get clear images of specific organs like lungs, blood vessels, heart, or tissues, radiologists use iodine-based material in some x-ray tests.
- CT-Scan or Computed Tomography: It provides in-depth imagery of bones, internal organs, blood vessels, and soft tissues. CT is the most widely used method by most doctors to detect cancer. It can detect a tumor and measure its shape and size. It also shows where tumors are found. It can instantly reveal bleeding and injuries in critical situations.
- Ultrasound: It is an excellent imaging method to diagnose unexplained swelling, pain, and infection. For needle biopsy and to evaluate blood flow, it guides the doctors through imaging. It is also preferred for pregnancy and checking the status of an unborn child.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): It uses stimulating radio waves and magnetic fields to detect diseases and tumors of the bowel, liver, and heart. It can also track the health status of a fetus.
- Mammography: It detects breast cancer with low-intensity x-rays in the early stages. It is beneficial to prevent severe conditions like cancer. It can detect changes for around two years before you can even detect them.
What is a Radiologist?
A radiologist is a medical professional who has proper training and specialization in diagnosing and treating injury and diseases through the above-mentioned imaging procedures like CT scan, X-ray, MRI scan, and ultrasound. Radiation is used in some of these imaging procedures. So, they should be well-trained to use radiation with care. A radiologist has training from a recognized medical institution and must have passed a licensing exam. In addition, they should have completed a postgraduate course for up to four years, covering topics like-
- Effects of radiation on the human body
- Radiation safety and its protocols
- Proper interpretation and use of medical imaging and radiologic tests
Most radiologists also go through specialized training for one or two years in a specific sub-specialty, including cardiovascular radiology, breast imaging, etc.
What to Expect with Radiology?
Before the Procedure
You don’t have to do anything much to prepare for an MRI scan. But you should still consider some pointers. It is not safe for some conditions, and it needs special preparation because it uses a strong magnetic field. If you have the following conditions, tell your technician and doctor early on-
- You are diagnosed with a medical condition
- You are pregnant
- You are claustrophobic
- Have metal fragments or tattoos
- Have medical implants like drug infusion device, pacemaker, aneurysm clips, or cochlear implant
Tell your doctor if you are anxious or claustrophobic before the procedure. They may prescribe a mild sedative. Wear easy-to-change clothing if you need MRI to be done on the spine. Be sure to wear clothes with no snaps, zippers, or any metal, even though your brain should be scanned. You will need to remove all metal objects like your jewelry. All your valuables will be kept secured in another room. A locker facility is provided in most hospitals.
The facility or doctor will guide you before the test. Similarly, you need to follow the above procedures for a CT scan. However, you shouldn’t have solid foods for several hours before going for the test if the contrast dye will be used.
During the Procedure
Contrast dye is required in some cases when it comes to doing an MRI scan. When it is needed, you will contrast dye through an IV. The technician will want you to lie flat on the table, which slides into the MRI tunnel. You will be able to talk to the technician through earphones. He will keep track of your procedure from another room through the monitor.
Expect loud banging sounds as MRI is noisy. To avoid the noise, you may also play music in some facilities via earphones. If you feel suffocated or scared, you can also push the call button. During the process, you have to stay still without any movement. You will feel nothing as the process is entirely painless.
The procedure's time length varies on the number of procedures and whether you need scans with and without dye. In general, it should take around an hour. The scanner captures pictures and moves. So, you will need to stay calm in the CT scanner.
After the Procedure
You can dress up and go home just after the procedure. You will wait for contrast dye to be removed if it is given through IV. Be sure to bring someone if you are supposed to get sedative.
Book an online appointment for imaging procedures like CT scan, X-ray, MRI scan, and ultrasound at MDRC India, one of the best imaging centers in Gurgaon.