Do you really need a Liver Function Test or LFT Test in Gurgaon? Know the symptoms of liver disease and what to expect during and after the procedure.
Liver Function Test or LFT Test
Liver Function Test or LFT test measures the levels of liver enzymes, proteins, and bilirubin found in the blood to determine liver health. Your doctor may recommend an LFT test in Gurgaon for the following reasons-
- To inspect the damage caused by liver infections like hepatitis C and hepatitis B
- To track the side effects of medications that can affect the liver
- To monitor the ongoing liver disease and ensure that treatment is doing well
- If you have some medical conditions like high blood pressure, anemia, diabetes, or high triglycerides
- If you have liver disorder symptoms
- You have gallbladder disease
- You are a heavy drinker
Some tests reflect various aspects of the functioning of the liver. Some of the common liver function tests to look for abnormalities are-
- Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP)
- Alanine Transaminase (ALT)
- Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST)
The liver releases certain enzymes to deal with the disease or damage. The AST and ALT tests track those enzymes. The albumin test is done to find out if the liver is producing albumin well. The bilirubin test tracks the bilirubin levels in your liver. ALP tracks the liver’s bile duct system.
On these liver tests, abnormal tests usually need to follow up to know the abnormalities' causes. Liver disease can also be tracked with mild changes in the results. Along with the liver, other organs can also have these enzymes. You should ask your doctor about your LFT test results and the meaning of their terms.
Why Do You Need an LFT Test?
Liver tests can be helpful to track the overall functioning of the liver. Here are some of the important functions your liver performs-
- Extracts nutrients from the foods you consume
- Filters contaminants found in your blood
- Stores vitamins and minerals
- Controls blood clotting
- Helps fight infection
- Produces enzymes, cholesterol, proteins, and bile
- Processes substances that can be harmful
- Removes bacteria
- Improves hormonal balances
- Regulates blood sugar
Liver problems can be life-threatening and can make anyone too sick.
Symptoms of Liver Disorder
- Weight loss
- Dark urine, light stools, or discoloration in other bodily discharge
- Ascites (fluid collected in the abdomen)
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Abdominal pain
A liver function test may be recommended if you have one of the above symptoms. The side effects of some medications and the treatment and progress of the disease can also be monitored.Preparation
You will get complete information about the preparation of a blood sample portion from the doctor. You may need to avoid some foods which may affect proteins and enzymes in your blood. Some medications will also be restricted. They may also tell you to fast for several hours before going for the test. Keep drinking water to clean up the system for accurate results. If you wear a shirt, be sure that you can easily roll up the sleeves to collect your blood sample.
What is the procedure of the Liver Function Test?
You may get your blood sample collected at home or a diagnostic center and hospital. The procedure starts in the following steps-
- First of all, the doctor will clean up your skin before doing the test. It is important to reduce the risk of infection due to any microorganism found on your skin.
- An elastic strap will be wrapped on your arm to get your veins to be seen more clearly. Your blood sample will be collected through a needle.
- After collecting the sample, some gauze and bandage would be placed over the puncture site. Then, the blood sample would be collected in the laboratory.
Is a Liver Function Test Safe?
There are no severe side effects because blood sample collection is a normal procedure. It is recommended to choose a reliable and trusted pathology clinic for such tests to avoid risks like infection, excessive bleeding, hematoma, and fainting.
What to do after a Liver Function Test?
You don’t have to do anything much. You can leave and get back to your normal routine after the test. If you feel lightheadedness or fainting, rest before leaving the facility. Your doctor may determine what to do next by checking your test reports. You will get a call from your doctor about the results, or you may visit your doctor to discuss a follow-up appointment.
You will be asked to stop drinking alcohol if you do. Your doctor will suggest you stop taking any medication if it is increasing the levels of enzymes. He will tell you whether you should test for hepatitis or other diseases. They may also recommend a CT scan or ultrasound. A liver biopsy is also done to look for fatty liver disease, fibrosis, or other conditions.
Book an online appointment for a Liver Function Test or LFT Test at MDRC India.